Thanks for stopping in. I’m an assistant prof in the biology dept at Western. My team and I study genome and molecular evolution, and are particularly interested in organelle genomes, genetic diversity, and microbial eukaryotes. We also do a lot of popular science writing and communication work. Check out the Research, Papers, Essays, and Blog for more details.
- I’m instructing in various genetics courses. Here’s an up-to-date list.
- Prospective student? Click here to see what we’re looking for.
- Aspiring writer? Become a Smith Lab Writer in Residence.
- My GoogleScholar profile, if you’re into that kind of thing.
- Track me down: Here’s my contact info.
- Selected media coverage.
Take it easy ~David